Wednesday, July 16, 2014

George, The Radio, And Coincidence (?)

George Harrison, during his days as a Beatle


This story begins with a random moment almost two weeks ago when, for no particular reason, I decided to pick up a book about George Harrison, the late musical artist who was well known for his good music and insightful lyrics.

Oh yeah, and he was in a band called the Beatles. Maybe you’ve heard of them.

I read the book over the course of five days. George had all the fame and money any aspiring singer-songwriter could ever want, and yet he couldn’t wait to get away from Beatlemania.

Life was not about worldly issues and material success, in his opinion. The soul and its eternal resting place was a much more meaningful pursuit to him.

Soon after the break-up of the Beatles, he wrote a song that became wildly popular, “My Sweet Lord.”
Since I was reading the book, I listened to a lot of George Harrison songs over the course of a few days, with that song among them.






LAST TUESDAY AFTERNOON, I received a phone call from my friend Tony Strong asking me to perform a Celebration of Life service for his brother, who had died suddenly the day before at the age of 50.

His brother’s name was … George.

I met with Tony and his family last Wednesday night to gather the many anecdotes and humorous stories about George Strong. What a character he was. He loved his daughter, he loved his family, he loved his Reds and Bengals, and he loved his music, especially Van Halen.

I was told they wanted a few songs played during the service – among them an old tune by John Mellencamp and “Jump,” by Van Halen.

… And “My Sweet Lord,” by George Harrison.

I thought to myself, “Wow. Has someone been spying on me?”

The funeral home was packed last Friday night when George’s life was celebrated.

Amid the funny stories (told by myself, Tony, Carl Bray and Andy Kyle), I sprinkled a reality I believe in to the core of my being, but one I am always careful to say -- that there is no such thing as a coincidence. We have a Master Musician in the sky, and our planet is one of the instruments in a grand symphony.

I hit this point for only a few minutes, because a spiritual message, like a political debate, can get old really fast if not presented in the right setting. Sprinkle a little salt on a piece of steak and it is delicious, creating a hunger for more. But turn the salt shaker upside down, and the person eating it has no choice but to spit it out.
Things happen for a reason. Life is beyond our comprehension, in both science and reason, and we are constantly given indicators of that fundamental truth.

So, just when we need it, we often encounter someone unexpectedly who gives us a pep in our step. Or the clouds or the sunset give us a glimpse of something out of this world. Or someone whose name mysteriously popped into our heads in the morning will magically appear in person or on the telephone later that night.

Or, among a million other things, you hear a song on the radio.

If we start looking, the exception is not in finding a miracle. The exception is in finding what isn’t one.

George Strong had a life worth celebrating. It was a pleasure being part of special a ceremony that honored it.








THIS STORY ENDS with what happened this morning. I arrived at my office at 7:15, a little frazzled because I had a number of decisions to complete. Since I had hearings stacked up all day long, I knew I wouldn’t have much time to get them done if I didn’t finish them then.

I’ll take a little encouragement any time I can get it.

Just then George Harrison was singing on the radio, “My Sweet Lord.”

I smiled. I plugged onward. When I left to go into the courtroom for a little bit, I came back, sat down, determined to get done.

I’m not kidding about what happened next. Go to the WGRR website and look up their playlist from this morning. At that moment, Van Halen came on the radio: “Jump.” I couldn’t believe it.

But then one more thing happened. Just as I finished a text message to Tony Strong telling him about my morning, the radio station topped it off with what I’ll call the spiritual trifecta.

It played an old John Mellencamp tune.

After that, nothing was ruining the rest of my day.








I HAVE TO CHUCKLE as I write this because I know it can sound contrived or hokey. I get it.

But somewhere, someone will understand me, and they will tell me they agree with me, that all of this was not just some coincidence.



I'll have one simple response: "By George, I think you're right."