Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Jeff Kirby For Judge, Because Families Matter

The way a teacher tackles a learning disability or a health care provider deals with sickness, I spend my days addressing the problems that confront families in the wake of divorce.

It’s what I do. I have the patience to listen, the discernment to decide, the boldness to challenge and the willingness to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty in an extremely emotional and difficult area of the law.

It’s my public service.

Because families matter.

That’s why after more than 25 years as a family law attorney, children’s advocate and court magistrate, I am a candidate for Judge of the Warren County Domestic Relations Court in 2016.
Judge Tim Oliver, who has served 13 years as judge and, before that, 15 years as Warren County prosecutor, is retiring. Given my experience, most recently in the courtroom next to his for the last two-and-a-half years, I feel it’s my time to step up and take on that role.

I make this announcement with a lot of confidence and pride. I am like the varsity quarterback who has worked his way through the ranks. I have paid my dues. Oddly, for once in my life, I can see that my grey hair and wrinkles have value, for they are the earmarks of experience.

A “Jeff Kirby For Judge” campaign kickoff will take place Sunday, Nov. 22, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Heather’s Coffee & CafĂ©, 505 S. Main St., Springboro. After that, I will keep doing what I have already been doing – attending community events and walking neighborhoods. All I can do is put my best foot forward.

Now can I stop talking about me? Good, because I didn’t get where I am today all by myself.

WHEN I WAS EIGHT years old, my dad started a one-room law practice on Main Street in Franklin. He had no influence or connections in the legal system, and he kept his night job at Frigidaire so he could provide for Mom, me and my four younger brothers and sisters.

Dad was a provider and a protector. More than anything, he wanted us kids to have a smoother path than he did. He went on to build a thriving practice and a good reputation, and was a huge help to my brother Joe and I at the law offices of law offices of Kirby & Kirby.

Today, Joe is the Judge of the Warren County Juvenile/Probate Court. If you want to know how he can be firm but also fair, adept at handling the problems that confront our young people, it’s in large part because of the influence from Dad.

If anyone wants to know why I emphasize hard work and education, recognizing that common sense shouldn’t be cast aside at the front door of the courthouse, and that a parent shows love to a child by respecting the other parent, I’ll tell you where that comes from. From the influence of Dad.
Today is the seventh anniversary of the day I believe God gave him his eternal reward. There is no coincidence why I picked today to make this announcement.

I WANT TO SAY thanks to several people right from the very beginning. I thank Judge Oliver for choosing me to work with him in the Domestic Relations Court since June of 2013. I thank Judge Ruppert (Jim & Rupert) for 22 years of magistrate experience in Franklin court, and to Mayor John Agenbroad for 20 years’ experience in Springboro court.

But more than anything I thank Kim, my wife of 23 years, and the rest of my smart, active and incredibly goofy family.

They remind me of what is most important in life. Being rich is not so much in what you own but in whom you have beside you.

Tomorrow, a child will learn that her parents are divorcing, and it will rock her little world. She needs structure, a guiding path and the security of knowing that everything will be okay.

I welcome the chance to help her.

Because families matter.

(Jay Knip Photo)