Friday, July 17, 2015

The Bridge


A Simon and Garfunkel song popped into my head as I drove home from work this evening, probably because a courthouse -- like a hospital -- has an element of sadness to it. A marriage splits. A life ends. Whether it's by choice or circumstance, people find themselves in some tough, tough spots, and they need good people in the right position to be the proverbial "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."

I work for Judge Tim Oliver, who is one of those good people. My career goal is to be a bridge just like him.

Perhaps coincidentally (though I think not), at the same moment I was driving home, Tom Watson was finishing up his last competitive round in the British Open, an event he has won five times -- making him a legend in the golfing world. When I was a kid, he was one of my idols. We are both redheads. We are both from the Midwest. While some kids wanted to play basketball like Jerry West or play baseball like Pete Rose, I wanted to win golf tournaments like Tom Watson.

As he walked down the 18th fairway at the St. Andrews Golf Course, Master Tom stopped at the famous Swilcan Bridge to say a ceremonial goodbye.

He shook hands his fellow competitors and tipped his hat to the crowd. But he also looked to the heavens and offered thanks. I can't tell you how much I love this photograph.

He was saying thanks for his many blessings.

But he was also saying thanks for the strength and guidance through the tough times, when he was anywhere but in the center of the fairway.

He was saying thanks for being The Bridge.