Thursday, December 3, 2015

Just Call Out My Name, And I'll Come Running


It was no coincidence the other day when, just as I sat down to collect my thoughts for my talk at the funeral for Joe Petrosky, a Springboro H.S. sophomore, a James Taylor song came on the radio.

When you’re down, and troubled/
And you need a helping hand/
And nothing, oh nothing is going right….


As Panther football coach Ryan Wilhite would say later, children are the life-blood of a community. So when a 15-year-old suddenly passes, is there an easy way to explain the reason or handle the hurt?
I was desperate for the right words. I stared at my computer screen, trying to filter all the emotions that ran through my mind, searching for the sentiments to express. I had nothing.

Just a few weeks ago Joe was part of a very successful Boro football season. After the playoff win at Mason, the team celebrated afterward like it had just won the Super Bowl – with Joe right there with the rest of them.

And now, the community was in shock. Where is comfort in the wake of such sorrow? I didn’t know what to say.

And then, as happens all the time with me, just the right song came over the radio. I’m convinced I have a heavenly DJ who speaks to me through music.

James Taylor first sang “You’ve Got A Friend” in 1971. Could he have known his melody would provide guidance on a cloudy Tuesday night in 2015?

I did as JT told me to do; I closed my eyes.

It’s funny how we see so much more when we do that.


THIRTY YEARS AGO, Harrison Ford (who is about to resurrect his role as Han Solo in “Star Wars”), played a big a big-city cop who has takes temporary refuge in Amish country, where faith and family means more than fame and fortune.

In a critical scene late in "Witness," tragedy strikes. The old farmer who Ford lives with sent out a cry for help. Using what we see in an old schoolhouse or a church, he rang the bell.

Within seconds, help came from all directions.

This image came to mind as I sat at my computer, eyes closed, listening to the words of James Taylor.

Keep your head together/
And call my name out loud/
Soon I’ll be knocking upon your door


It was the image I then talked about at young Joe’s funeral. I talked about the movie and said I am prompted to look around and help those who need healing. I also want to encourage everyone everywhere, in any stage of life, to reach out in times of trouble.

Ring the bell.

I say it again: Ring the bell.

Believe there is always hope, I said. Believe there is always comfort, I added, particularly in the love and support of a loved one we can always call ‘Friend.’


BEFORE EVERY SPRINGBORO football game, there is a moment (for all those who choose to participate) to appreciate loved ones and seek protection for everyone on both sides of the field. I took this photo before the Homecoming Game in October.

Afterward, they broke to the cry of one simple word: “Family.”

That's what this team and this community has shown itself to be.

Winter, spring, summer or fall/
All you’ve got to do is call/
And I’ll be there, yes, I’ll be there/
You’ve got a friend.