Thursday, January 12, 2017

"We Have Been Blessed To Have Him For All These Years"

As the evening came to an end, after Warren County Judge Tim Oliver had been properly praised and celebrated at his retirement gathering Tuesday night, he took the podium and offered a bit of humor: “I guess this is as close as I’ll ever get to being at my own funeral.”
 
He then reflected on 42 years as a member of the Warren County Bar Association, 15 of those as Warren County prosecutor and the last 13 as Judge of the Domestic Relations Court. He shared memories and offered a heartfelt thanks to everyone he had worked with along the way.
 
The room was full of lives he had touched over the years, and if given the opportunity, he would have gladly spoken at length about each of them. But he preferred the evening to be much like a court case under his control – short and to the point. Let’s go.
 
As is his nature, he deflected much of the credit for his success onto those he hired and worked with, first in the prosecutor’s office and later at the Court. Mike Powell and Rachel Hutzel, two former assistant prosecutors, went on to become judges. At the court, he assembled a crew of hard-working and dedicated judicial assistants (Diana Flint, Eloisa Kisaberth, Pam Jackson, Carrie Oliver, Brooke Langdon, Mary Ellen Steele and Deborah Grubb) who make the Warren County DR Court one of the most efficient and respectful courts around.
“I’ve always believed in hiring good people and then getting out of their way,” he said. “A lot of people have made me look good.”
 
His judicial style was all his own, but he credited two judges in particular for making an influence on him, Judge William Young and Judge P. Daniel Fedders, both of whom are retired. They were the county’s common pleas court judges when Judge Oliver came to Warren County in 1974.
 
He came a long way from his small-town roots in Versailles, a Darke County farm town, all the way to Warren County, which is now one of the largest counties in all of Ohio. He had a stop at Ohio State University in between, for his undergraduate and law school studies.
 
He said he will miss all the people he has worked with. However, as was evident by the packed house and the tributes he was given, all the people he has worked with will miss him too.
 
SPRINGBORO ATTORNEY JOHN Smith fought hard with Judge Oliver back when the Judge was a county prosecutor, but later appreciated how fair the Judge was once he took the bench. “Judge, you saw the good in everyone,” John said. “I didn’t always agree with you, but I always 100% knew why you did what you did. You treated everyone fairly, and I’m going to miss that.”
 
Lebanon attorney Ellen Rittgers remembers meeting the Judge and his wife Lois back in 1979. There were several Warren County husband and wife teams back then, with (Judge) Neal and Barb Bronson, the Olivers and Ellen and her husband Charlie.
 
She joked about the intensity the Judge and her husband Charlie showed in coaching their sons’ sports teams, even though the boys were only eight years old. And she expressed the concern she had when the Judge, who had never been a domestic relations practitioner, left as county prosecutor to take the bench in Domestic Relations Court.
 
Turns out she didn’t need to worry. “Judge, you knew the law, its subtleties and nuances as well as anyone,” she said. “You were as smart, genuine and reliable, and I really respected you for that. Like John, I didn’t always agree with you, but I respected you.”
 
Lebanon attorney Harold Jarnicki remarked on how prepared the Judge was for every hearing. “You knew the cases better than some of the lawyers did,” Harold said. “I can tell you this, any lawyer who appeared in front of you is a better lawyer now because of having appeared in front of you.”
 
The Judge was courteous, always finishing every meeting with lawyers by asking, “Is there anything else I can do to help you.” And he was prompt in making his decisions, Harold added. “If you had a one day trial, he had a decision to you within 48 hours, and if it was a two-day trial, he’d have in 72 hours. Who does that?”
 
That’s what made the judge remarkable. “We’ve been blessed to have him for all these years,” Harold said.
 
Retired Judge Neal Bronson talked about his friendship with Judge Oliver through the years, and the vacations they took together with their wives. “I always knew that if I found myself backed up against a wall, he would be right there by my side,” Judge Bronson said. “He’s been a colleague and a friend, and a great asset to Warren County.”
 
Other similar stories and sentiments were expressed by Lebanon attorneys Bill Duning and Dave Ernst.
 
ALLOW ME TO END this piece on a personal note. Judge Oliver hired me four years ago as a magistrate in the Domestic Relations Court, and in doing so he gave me this first-hand insight into the making of an excellent court and staff. When he announced his retirement and I started my campaign to replace him, I know my experience and close working relationship with Judge Oliver helped me win the election.
 
I now hold the position he vacated, and my goal is to keeping the Court running as well as he did.
 
A month ago I spent a week at the Supreme Court undergoing judicial training. I was there with 50 or so other Judges around the state who are beginning their term.
 
At one point on the second day, I was instructed me to name a sitting Domestic Relations Court Judge as my mentor over the next year. The idea is for me to meet with that Judge every month or so to learns all the ins and outs of the position. Without question, it is a great idea.
 
But with all due respect to every sitting Domestic Relations Judge in Ohio, I don’t need any of them as a mentor. That’s because I already have one. Now, as has been true for the last four years, whether it’s on the phone, in the office or at lunch, I have Judge Oliver to answer every question I could have.
 
His influence did not end on December 30, 2016, the day he swore me in as his replacement (Warren County proclaimed that day ‘Tim Oliver Day,’ by the way). It continues on with the work of all those he has worked with through the years, me included.
 
Harold said it best: “We were blessed to have him for all these years.”
 
Thanks, Judge.
 
...
 
(top photo: Judge Oliver in court; bottom left, with Alaina Bidlack and Beth Anne Schorr of the Warren County Child Support Enforcement Agency, and Beth Anne’s husband Rolph; bottom right, Judge Oliver giving me the oath of office).