Sunday, February 26, 2017

"Just One More, Lord. Just One More"

After a long week that had been particularly complex and challenging, when it seemed like life’s ultimate destination was an escape to a deserted island, being free of any duties and demands, I watched “Hacksaw Ridge” the other night.

At a moment when it seemed like the really important things in life had to be tangible, like a possession or diploma or fancy title, I watched the World War II story of United States Army Pvt. Desmond Doss.

I watched a guy get bloody and dirty, pushing on as a medic in the middle of war even when he was well past exhaustion. I saw someone who volunteered to serve his country, sacrificed to defend his faith, and lived by the mantra, “Give me the strength, Lord, to help one more. Just one more.” It was an example of humble service to those in need, and it was impressive.

All in all, the movie was full of gruesome images I never see in my rather comfortable corner of the world. In truth, I would like to think they never happen, but they do. Thankfully, the world is full of goodness, too.

In that regard, the movie paid homage to many others around us who work hard to make the world a better place. There are teachers, nurses, pastors, court staff, social workers and first responders who are knee-deep in real life every day, pushing on even when the tasks are difficult, just like Pvt. Doss.

Collectively, they say quietly, “Give me the strength, Lord, to help one more. Just one more.” And they keep going, despite the challenges in doing so, which is inspiring.

In watching the story of Pvt. Doss, I realized something, and it has encouraged me to get up tomorrow and do all I can do to help people.

They do not make movies about people spending endless days sitting beside the pool, forever lapping in the life of luxury. Glorious as that may be to dream about, it is not real.

The picture of success is not living a life surrounded by servants. 

It is being one.