Sunday, May 7, 2017

My Favorite Buckeye Of All Time


Without throwing a single touchdown pass or making even one game-saving tackle, my daughter Chloe -- who graduated this afternoon from Ohio State University -- is now my favorite Buckeye of all time.

She is now far ahead of such legends such as Archie Griffin, Chris Spielman and Springboro graduate Jake Ballard, and all the other Buckeyes who have ever worn the Scarlet and Grey, and will forever stay there, at least in my eyes. After all, I have never claimed to have total objectivity when it comes to my family.

Today was a celebration of Chloe's hard work, but also a significant step in Chloe's commitment -- along with her classmates -- to make the world a better place. 

I like the words of featured speaker Abigail Wexner, who is a leader in the Columbus area for her work in private, public and charitable enterprises: "You don't have to be the president, a CEO, an astronaut, or even a man, to make an impact."

She told the graduates: "Seize the chance to change the world, bit by bit, in meaningful ways....Reach out and put your arm around someone's shoulder. Within you is the power to make the ordinary heroic, one child at a time."

I look forward to seeing Chloe do just that.

She and my nephew Chase, who also graduated from OSU today, will head to law school at the University of Dayton in the fall. Their goal is not just to make money or achieve a certain status. Instead, it is to help families, strengthen a community and help those who are less fortunate, something our family has stood for for a very long time.

Yeah, proud.

I took this photo this afternoon of Chloe and her mother, my wife Kim, as everyone gathered near the Thompson Library right after the ceremony. It's beautiful.

I'll put ahead of every other photo I keep in my mental scrapbook of the Buckeye greats of all time -- ahead of Eddie George, Cris Carter, and Ezekiel Elliott.

My No. 1 will always be Chloe.

My favorite Buckeye.