Thursday, September 30, 2021

"She Made All Of Us Better"

Pam Jackson’s retirement today has required us to fill her position at the Warren County Domestic Relations Court.

But everyone who knows Pam knows one thing for sure -- no one can ever replace her.
In her 30 years of service to Warren County, Pam was excellent at what she did -- by being thorough, efficient, dependable -- which by itself made her a model team member.
But there was an even bigger reason Pam was a huge asset to our Court, something that goes way beyond WHAT she did. It was HOW she did it.
“I’ve jotted down some never-changing qualities you have always had,” attorney Harold Jarnicki said in a note to Pam this week. “Very pleasant, very kind and courteous to all, very accommodating, and very loyal and devoted to your work.”
He added, “I use the word ‘very’ because you go the extra mile in everything you do. Enjoy your retirement and your family. It is VERY well-deserved.”
Attorney Krysti George-Underwood expressed a similar sentiment, which was echoed by other lawyers and legal assistants all over Southwest Ohio, “Her ‘Hi Hon!’ greetings are just adorable.”
And attorney Brooke Logsdon summed it up this way, “You made the courthouse better just by being there.”
I hear all the time how much people enjoy working with our Court staff, primarily because of the respect and personal attention they are shown. I'm proud of the whole team, but Pam exemplified that as much as anyone.
OUR STAFF HAS loved Pam, too.
Rachel Runge, who will do a great job taking over Pam’s position, wrote this about Pam. “I will miss Pam’s motherly instinct to everyone she cares about. She always makes you feel loved,” she said.
“Also, I will miss Pam’s helpfulness and patience in teaching me anything I had questions about. But most of all, like everyone else, I will miss her calling me ‘sweet pea’ and ‘babe.’”
Mary Ellen Steele, our court administrator, wrote, “Pam is an example of hard work and kindness. I just love that woman.”
And Magistrate Renee Crist-Faine wrote to Pam, “I will miss your sweet disposition, smiling face, and contagious laugh. I am so thankful and blessed to have known you for almost twenty years, and to have been able to work with you the last five. Best of luck with your new adventure!”
As a retirement gift, Pam was given a small book that displayed all the personal tributes that we've collected about her in the past few weeks. Not surprisingly, all of them focused on her cheerful and encouraging demeanor.
MY PLAN AT THE END of business yesterday was to get a photograph of Pam, not in her office or on the telephone or typing away at the computer.
Instead, I wanted a photo of her in the courtroom, wearing a robe, with a gavel in hand – symbolizing how her role with the Court has every bit as important as mine.
I wasn’t sure I could get her to do it. Pam is a giver and not a taker. She doesn’t like to be the center of attention.
So I waited until she was in the office of Eloisa Kisaberth, one of our other assignment commissioners. Like a little sister, I knew Eloisa could convince Pam to do almost anything.
Sure enough, Eloisa talked Pam in to going inside the courtroom almost immediately. As she straightened Pam's collar to make her look good for my planned photograph, the moment took over. I caught the hug between the two of them, which was a far better photo anyway, don't you think?
Eloisa wrote this in a note to Pam: “You have been my partner in crime, my sister, my confidant, and my friend. I will always remember the times you and I were running the halls, doing five things at once, answering phone calls, and somehow in the midst of everything we’d get to giggling to the point we could not stop."
She added, “We must stay in touch because I can’t imagine my life without you in it. I love you, my friend. God bless you.”
Pam made all of us better. We wish her well in retirement, but another thing is equally true.
She surely will be missed.